Questions About Clues
- Do my clues expire if I don't use them?
- Does "Try Again" count towards my clues sent?
- Is there a limit on the number of clues that a scavenger hunt can contain?
Scavenger Hunt Questions
- For a group hunt, can I send the same scavenger hunt to multiple numbers?
- After a correct answer has been submitted, how long do you have to wait for the next clue?
- Do I have to set a hunt date and time? Or will texting "join (code)" be sufficient to start the hunt?
- What happens if a wrong clue is submitted?
- What happens if the answer to a clue contains a number?
- How will the individual completing the scavenger hunt be charged for texts?
- I received a strange text message that doesn't appear to be a part of the scavenger hunt...
What is TextClues.com?
Text Clues is an online tool that allows anyone to set up a text message scavenger hunt in minutes. Text messages are great because they work on any cell phone and the hunter doesn't need to download an app that might ruin the surprise. The instant we tested our first scavenger hunt we knew we were on to something. There is nothing more exciting than seeing someone's reaction when their phone is automatically giving them the next clue or telling them to try again!
How can I try it?
We've set up a demo where you can can send two clues to your phone before ever having to sign up. You'll notice that it is super simple to set up your scavenger hunt. You'll also notice that you can see the text messages that your scavenger hunt is sending and receiving in real time!
Quesitons about Clues
Do my clues expire if I don't use them?
Does "Try Again" count towards my clues sent?
Is there a limit on the number of clues that a scavenger hunt can contain?
No! Your scavenger hunt can go on as long as you wish, just as long as you stay within your clue limit. If you have 100 clues then you can create a scavenger hunt with 100 clues for 1 person, or a hunt with 50 clues for two people, 33 clues for 3 people, etc.
Scavenger Hunt Questions
For a group hunt, can I send the same scavenger hunt to multiple numbers?
Yes we offer two ways for you to setup a group scavenger hunt. The first method, is to have every group text "join <pin-code>" to our phone number: (650) 262-5837. For instance, if the scavenger hunt join code was 12345, you would text join 12345. If the scavenger hunt has started, then they'll get the first clue. Otherwise, they will be added to the list of phones to get a text when the scavenger hunt starts.
After a correct answer has been submitted, how long do you have to wait for the next clue?
Do I have to set a hunt date and time? Or will texting "join (code)" be sufficient to start the hunt?You should always set a hunt date and time. If a player texts join before you've started the hunt then they will get a message saying the "Hunt has not started". At the hunt start time, anyone that has already joined the hunt will get a text message with the first clue. If someone joins a hunt that has already started, then they will immediatelly get the first clue texted back to them.
What happens if a wrong clue is submitted?
What happens if the answer to a clue contains a number?
How will the individual completing the scavenger hunt be charged for texts?
This will depend on their cell phone text messaging plan. Thus, you will want to make sure that they have a text plan before starting a scavenger hunt, otherwise they may be charged for individual texts!
To avoid international texts, US users will have texts sent from a US number, (650) 262-5837, Canadian users will have texts sent from a Canadian number (780) 800-7284, and UK users will have texts sent from a UK number +44 (203) 322-1898.
I received a strange text message that doesn't appear to be a part of the scavenger hunt...
If you send us: "Help", "Start", "Yes", "Stop", "Unsubscribe", "Cancel", or "Quit", you will receive one of the following texts:
- Reply STOP to un-subscribe. Msg&Data Rates May Apply.
- You have successfully been re-subscribed to messages from this number. Reply HELP for help. Reply STOP to un-subscribe. Msg&Data Rates May Apply.
- You have been successfully been un-subscribed. You will not receive any more messages from this number. Reply START to re-subscribe.
Unfortunately, these are reserved words that are required by the Mobile Marketing Association.
I have a suggestion to make your site better! Can I send it to you?
Of course! We're happy to receive any of your feedback.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call at 1-877-CLUES-21.